Friday, July 17, 2015

Gratitude In July


I have noticed around the interwebs recently that there are a lot of "Christmas In July" and "Black Friday in July" events going on.  It got me thinking that, as much as I enjoy the whole lead up to Christmas that I refer to as the shopping season, it pales against my love for Thanksgiving.  Not only is it a holiday that centers around food and family, it really puts a spotlight on gratitude.  Although I do practice gratitude in my daily life, I truly enjoy the opportunity to focus in on it a bit that the Thanksgiving season brings.  So rather than starting my holiday shopping early, I thought this would be a good time to examine being thankful.


There are many types of gratitude, and many ways to experience it.  There is a level that is deeply personal and a bit difficult to articulate, that has to do with who I am and where I came from.  There is also the gratitude that exists in the simple day to day living; for the day itself and the ability to enjoy it, for a good hair day after managing to squeeze a morning workout in, gratitude for the pleasant barista at the coffee shop who steams the milk just right, and for short lines at the toll plaza.


The grateful place where my thoughts have really been focusing in on these days, though, has been in the area where I do the work required to be the best person that I can be.  My definition of "best person" changes every day; some days are just about getting through the tasks at hand, other days are about more; giving back, paying it forward, and really pushing my limits.


A short time ago, I was sitting next to my husband as he was speaking to someone well known to both of us.  I cannot say "close" to us about this person, because the relationship is very one sided, as in how it benefits said person.  In any event, the entire dialog provided by the person on the other end of the phone was in the form of complaints, one after the next.  And trust me when I tell you, this person has NOTHING to complain about.  But maybe that's an issue in itself?  When someone has not experienced true trials and tribulations, perhaps every single thing that does not go their way is cause for upset. 


Having born witness to this tirade of tiny upsets caused my gratitude to multiply, though.  I am grateful for a lack of bitterness in any and all aspects of my life.  The hard, bad things have made me stronger, and the good and beautiful and amazing things have made me better.  Have made me more aware of all the goodness that exists in people, and all of the possibilities that exist in our world.  I am grateful that I find a way to end every single day believing with all of my heart that life is good. 

xoxo, Anita

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear friends,
Thank you for taking the time to comment! ! I want this to be a space of free and open dialog, within the boundaries of respect and basic human kindness. Whether we are in agreement or not, all comments will be published so long as they meet that requirement.
xo, Anita