Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Only love is real...

...nothing else exists. 


If you've read my blog before, you may already know that I am a devotee of A Course In Miracles.  (If you're interested, you can find my previous posts on the subject here.) 

The course is based on the belief that only love is real, and that nothing else exists.  Fear is the opposite of love, but what is all encompassing can have no opposite.  Put another way, fear is loveless perception.


Fear is not something we were born with, it is something that we learned.  We are taught concepts such as competition, limitation, guilt and scarcity.   We are taught that to be lovable we must get good grades, make a lot of money, be better, stronger, faster than everyone else.  But when we attach value to things that cannot love us back, we are searching for meaning in the meaningless.  It's not that these things are bad, it's that they are nothing.


To keep love as the focus in every circumstance we encounter requires surrender.  Surrender means to empty our mind to everything we have been taught, recognize that we don't have to be struggling all of the time and just love instead.  In doing this, we are liberated from our pain, experience inner peace, and discover a power within ourselves that we were previously unaware of.
 
 
I wish I could say that is an easy thing to do, to surrender fear based thinking in favor of love based thinking in difficult circumstances. I will say, however, that I am much better at it now than I was when I first discovered the Course back in 1992, through Marianne Williamson's book "A Return To Love".  I have learned that, as with all worthwhile things in life, learning to surrender to the love requires a strong commitment, a devoted practice and an unwavering belief in the importance of maintaining this way of being with the world.   During those times when I am most challenged, I repeat this mantra over and over to myself "only love is real, nothing else exists....only love is real, nothing else exists.....only love is real, nothing else exists.......".  I find that this simple exercise helps to both calm me and give me the strength to face whatever it is that is going on.
 
 
Do you have a special way of dealing with the difficult challenges that life regularly presents, dear friends?  Please share, I would love to hear!
 
xo, Anita
 
 




4 comments:

  1. "All I ask of you" from Phantom of the Opera is my "love song" to God and listening to it calms me enough to hear what He needs from me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie, Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment! I love that song; what a beautiful ritual you have.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear that the universe is making you a recipient of so many special "opportunities". I alternate between brief rants against the unfairness and helpless laughter at the absurdity of it all.
    Yesterday I was reorganizing bookshelves and came across "Only Love is Real", a book I read almost 20 years ago and which made quite a huge difference in my life then!

    I hope things are brighter for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The universe certainly does have an interesting sense of humor! I must Google that book; sounds like a must read!

      I miss your posts! I hope that happy moments and over flowing creativity are what is keeping you away!

      Delete

Dear friends,
Thank you for taking the time to comment! ! I want this to be a space of free and open dialog, within the boundaries of respect and basic human kindness. Whether we are in agreement or not, all comments will be published so long as they meet that requirement.
xo, Anita