Friday, June 22, 2012

Finding Bliss

It's easy to recognize the bliss when life is flowing along in a (relatively) calm fashion, but not so much when you hit some bumps.  Whether you're experiencing work related stress, coping with a family issue or just generally feeling overwhelmed and under pressure, we all know what it's like to overlook opportunities for joy. 

When this happens to me, one thing I find helpful is to channel my inner child and get outside for some play time.



Tennis has been a favorite outdoor activity since I was a teenager.  Playing with a partner is great, but I'm almost as happy hitting balls against a wall by myself for a while.  (I also like to play some solitary racket ball at the gym when I get bored with my regular workouts.  Give it a try; it's really a lot of fun!)


A bike ride is another great way to get out of a funk and to get back in touch with your inner bliss.  If time is short and it seems too indulgent to ride for the sake of riding, why not put a basket on your bike and ride to the market?  Getting an errand done and making time for a little enjoyment is a win-win in my book!



A few minutes on a swing at a nearby park is another great way to get the cobwebs out, and it doesn't require any special equipment or very much time. 

I've also been known to spend a few minutes on my deck with a jump rope or hula hoop, and I love to play kickball against the fence.  It doesn't really matter what it is, but I find that getting out and getting moving is a great way to calm the stress, quiet those nagging voices, and find my way to bliss.

What do you like to do when feeling blissful takes some work, dear friends?  Please share; I would love to hear!

xoxo, Anita

{I'm linking up with The Little Bliss List on Liv Lane's Choosing Beauty Blog.}

7 comments:

  1. Stereotypical English person I'm afraid - a cup of Earl Grey Tea with a little brown sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for play! For some reason, playing tennis makes me laugh really, really hard. I mean so hard that I can't hit the ball. The other players usually end up standing around in a circle, wondering whether they should join in or call an ambulance.
    But for your regular, everyday, generic type of bliss, you can probably guess that I'd go for pie. Instead of endorphin and dopamine receptors, my brain has pie receptors. ;-)
    Hope you find lots of playful bliss this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love what you love!
    swinging:)
    swinging is my favorite.
    may you be buoyed over the bumps,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true! I too love swinging and kicking a ball for the dogs and letting my inner child out. Visiting through The Little Bliss List.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was feeling a bit down this weekend so I did just that. I went outside and made a chalk drawing in my driveway. I blew bubbles. I needed that. Glad I'm not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi You have a beautiful blog!
    Will pop back and browse again very soon....
    Tilly x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Anita, haven't seen you for a while and I hope all is well with you in this summer of extreme heat, storms, power outages and other oddities. Do find some bliss!

    I wanted to nominate you for another award; as you know you are always an inspiration to me, and your blog is the very essence of this particular award - The One Lovely Blog award!
    http://olderthanvintage.blogspot.com/2012/07/one-lovely-award.html

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends,
Thank you for taking the time to comment! ! I want this to be a space of free and open dialog, within the boundaries of respect and basic human kindness. Whether we are in agreement or not, all comments will be published so long as they meet that requirement.
xo, Anita