Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Handmade, With Love


A few months ago, my BFF from high school (that's her on the left; I'm on the right) posted on Facebook that her mom was selling handmade afghans.  She loves to make them, and donates most of them to the maternity ward of their local hospital for newborn disadvantaged children to go home with.   Any money she collected from the sales would be used to buy yarn to make more to donate.  It makes me so happy when someone uses their talents and gifts for the benefit of others less fortunate!  I immediately sent my friend an email asking for two lap sized afghans for my living room, each in a different pattern, and done in a cream colored yarn.  We exchanged a few emails about patterns and sizes, and her mom went to work.


Fast forward to the beginning of May, and I received an email that the afghans were on their way!  In the meantime, we had mister's family visiting from out of town, and spent this past weekend celebrating Mother's Day and a graduation.  {I photographed this beautiful rose during a graduation party.}  When I arrived home from my Monday morning airport run, a package from my BFF was on the front porch!





They are just so beautiful!  Soft and warm and perfect for taking the chill out. 

In other handmade news, I've made a little progress on my owl tote ~



It doesn't show up very well in these pictures, but I blended a matching metallic thread in with the floss for the blacks of the eyes, and the pink dots.  I love a bit of unexpected sparkle!

Have you added any handmade pretties to your home lately?  Please share; I would love to hear!

xoxo, Anita

5 comments:

  1. The crochet stitches on the afghans are so pretty! How nice to have something you can see everyday and think of your friend.
    LOVE the owl and his (her?) pretty colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that photo of you and your friend! The Afghan is beautiful and I'm loving your cute little owl! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The owl's sweet.
    Do you ever use embroidery on your clothes? It's something I fancy doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't embroidered clothing in a very long time! I would love to do it again.

      Delete
  4. glittering:)
    i love it.
    beautiful, beautiful you.
    -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends,
Thank you for taking the time to comment! ! I want this to be a space of free and open dialog, within the boundaries of respect and basic human kindness. Whether we are in agreement or not, all comments will be published so long as they meet that requirement.
xo, Anita