Monday, May 7, 2012

A Day At The Races

While many people consider the summer season underway on Memorial Day, for me it starts with race day; the International Gold Cup Races in Plains, Virginia, held every year on the first Saturday of May.  It features hurdle and timber horse races, Jack Russell Terrier races, vendor booths for shopping, and tent, tailgate and hat contests.


And what a lovely day it was!  Overcast skies and a nice breeze kept it from being too hot, and good friends, wonderful food and the party atmosphere made it the best summer kick off to date.


For one lucky couple, who met at the race five years ago, it was also their wedding day!


Cars, tents and people in various stages of revelry covered the grounds to watch the races.






And just like that, we've lept into the outdoor season, with lots of plans for golf outings, picnics, music and craft festivals and time spent near the water. 

How do you like to spend your time outside, dear friends?  Please share; I would love to hear!

xoxo, Anita  

3 comments:

  1. Anita I use to always go to the steeple chase races when I lived in Maryland. What fond memories this brings back. Thanks for sharing your fun day with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you all look fantastic? The only time I've been to a race is back when I used to work in corporate hospitality and waited on posh racegoers.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks exciting! And what a beautiful day you had to start the season.
    I don't think I've ever been to a horse race. To be honest, I think I might spend the time watching the Jack Russells!

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends,
Thank you for taking the time to comment! ! I want this to be a space of free and open dialog, within the boundaries of respect and basic human kindness. Whether we are in agreement or not, all comments will be published so long as they meet that requirement.
xo, Anita