Friday, April 13, 2012

My Style ~ Timeless Influences

While I would never try to copy someones style exactly and believe that it's not only important but necessary to be an individual and to express my individuality, I'd be lying if I said that I'm not influenced and inspired by the style of others.

I believe that in order to be out stylish best, we should draw our inspiration from the style of those we admire, but make it our own.  It isn't stylish to be a carbon copy of another person; that's costume.  It is stylish to take what we admire from the style of our fashion icons and interpret it a way that represents who we are.

My style tends to be varied and eclectic, but always has the underlying qualities of classic timelessness running through it.  This is what draws me to vintage clothing and accessories so much; finding pieces that have withstood the test of time and work for me today is a great joy!



Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis is one of my favorite style icons.  Both her classically feminine First Lady style choices and the more modern look that she sported in her post White House years remain relevant and adaptable today.



Grace Kelly is another woman that I admire for her impeccable taste and the timelessness of her looks.  In all of her roles ~ actress, Princess, wife and mother, she embodied a classic grace that can never be copied, but that many of us cannot help but aspire to.



Diane von Furstenberg is hands down my favorite present day icon of style.  The wrap dress that she introduced in 1973 (a staple in my own wardrobe!) not only symbolizes effortless elegance and empowerment to generations of women, it is in the Costume Institutes collection at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  While original dresses from the 1970's are highly coveted by fashionable women everywhere, and increasingly harder to find, several styles are offered each season in an assortment of both modern prints and vintage offerings.  "Feel like a woman, wear a dress!"

I'm linking this post up to the Gussy Sews Inspiration Workshop April Edition; My Style.  Head over to read what other bloggers have to say about their own styles!

Do you find influences on your style from fashion icons?  Are you drawn to the fashions from an earlier time, or do you prefer all that is modern and on the cutting edge?  Please share; I would love to hear!

xoxo, Anita

3 comments:

  1. For some reason my mind always goes back to the years of Pat Benatar and early Madonna, when I wore layers of lace and ripped dresses with neon colored heels. I guess that's perfectly okay in the mid-20s to 30s!
    Now I can't fixate on any one style icon because everyone has some outfits I love and some I really don't like. And since my own outfits jump from prim and classic one day to gypsy earth mother the next, I'd have to just go with "eclectic" if anyone asked for a description. Or "Katrina". LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. so classy, you:)
    beautiful to be able to sew
    and make exactly what you love!
    pure gift.
    a weekend of wonder to you,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always been fascinated by film star style icons.
    I loved watching the old B+W Hollywood stars when I was small and think that's where my love of clothes started. I never minded that I wore different clothes to other girls when I was a teenager. I still wear what I like rather than what's "in fashion" but I've stopped making strange dresses from 1950's curtain fabric now.

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends,
Thank you for taking the time to comment! ! I want this to be a space of free and open dialog, within the boundaries of respect and basic human kindness. Whether we are in agreement or not, all comments will be published so long as they meet that requirement.
xo, Anita