Sunday, March 4, 2012

Vintage Shamrocks

I love the month of March!  Not only does it bring with it the beginning of Spring, it also features Saint Patrick's Day and its wonderful celebrations of all things Irish.


In Ireland, St. Patrick's Day is a religious feast day and a National holiday that commorates the arrival of Christianity.  Elsewhere, including here in the United States, it is the most widely recognized and celebrated Saint's day on the calander.


 Parades are a big part of the celebrations all over the world.  There is a great one held annually in the city made popular by The Office; Scranton, Pennsylvania.  It's the second largest St. Patrick's Day parade in the country, Scranton touts it as it's version of Mardi Gras, and is definitely a party worth attending if you get the opportunity. 


"The wearing of the green", another popular way of acknowledging the holiday, originally referred to pinning a shamrock onto clothing.  According to legend, Saint Patrick used the shamrock to illustrate the Holy Trinity to pagen Irish people.


With Lenten fasting requirements being waived for the day, feasting and drinking are a big part of the celebrations as well!  Irish stew, beer (sometimes dyed green) and whisky are all plentiful at traditional gatherings.  {Later this week, I'll be sharing my own stew recipe, adapted from one passed down by my Irish ancestors.}


Aren't these vintage postcards fantastic?  I found them all on the NYPL Digital Gallery.  They would be wonderful in some mixed media artwork, I think.


In addition to making my favorite stew {while The Quiet Man plays on repeat in the DVD player}, we are looking forward to checking out the parade in Baltimore this year to enjoy the Irish culture, music and dance that will be on display. 


Do you have any traditions for celebrating Saint Patrick's Day?  A local parade that can't be missed, a favorite recipe, movie, song?  Please share, I would love to hear!

xoxo, Anita

6 comments:

  1. We have one of the biggest St Paddy's parades outside of Ireland, Birmingham's got a huge Irish community. We don't celebrate it, there's a lot of Irish pubs in town but I can't bear the taste of Guinness! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guinness is definitely an acquired taste! It's not a favorite of mine, either. It does wonders for a stew, though!
      xo

      Delete
  2. These postcards are wonderful!!! It amazes me how each one is a little work of art.
    We have no particular traditions for St. Patrick's Day, but you've inspired me to pull out some of my Irish music CDs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that I inspired you to listen to some Irish music, Katrina! I love it; my mother used to sing all of the songs when I was little. They still make me feel like a young girl!
      xo

      Delete
  3. I love The Quiet Man! It is one of the few John Wayne movies I like and Maureen O'Hara is a fave of mine.

    I try to catch a little of the NYC St. Patrick's Day Parade with the kiddos. And Corned Beef and Cabbage (although an Irish-American meal) is my idea of a great way to finish the day off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel exactly the same about 'The Quiet Man', Tracy! And corned beef and cabbage sounds wonderful; I love it! Thank you so much for visiting; I am going to pop over and visit you on your blog, also.
      xo, Anita

      Delete

Dear friends,
Thank you for taking the time to comment! ! I want this to be a space of free and open dialog, within the boundaries of respect and basic human kindness. Whether we are in agreement or not, all comments will be published so long as they meet that requirement.
xo, Anita