Thursday, March 8, 2012

Spring Sewing (Challange)


I heard about the That's Sew Cinematic event from Debi over at My Happy Sewing Place, and mmediately jumped on board.  My passion for vintage fashion is heavily influenced by my love of old movies, so this is a great fit for me.


I've had this Vintage Vogue pattern (V2962) for a while now, waiting for the perfect fabric to make it with.  It's so very Marilyn Monroe in The Seven Year Itch, don't you think?  I'm making mine in a vintage style print instead of Marilyn's white, but the influence is inescapable in any fabric, I think.


I choose this dress, by Chado Ralph Rucci (Vogue pattern V1269), to make in Susan Khalje's The Couture Dress class on Craftsy.  I really liked the Audrey Hepburn feel of it even before the challange!  I was originally going to make it in an amazing cream linen and silk blend, but commiting to the challange inspired me to do it in traditional black.  (I'm still looking for my fabric, so if you have any sugestions, please share!)  I'll be constructing my first muslin this weekend, so I have a little time yet.


Have you had the opportunity to look at the book Famous Frocks by Sara Alm and Hannah McDevitt?  (That's Audrey in her black dress on the cover.)  If you are interested in the challange, this book has patterns and instructions for 10 dresses that would be perfect!  I choose the Bette Davis dress to make with the cream silk/linen originally earmarked for the Chado. 

I really have my work cut out for me, so to speak!  I have banned myself from looking at patterns or fabric on line (with the exception of locating the black silk) until further notice.  It's time to get sewing!

Are you participating in any challanges or group projects right now?  Please share, I would love to hear!

xoxo, Anita

7 comments:

  1. Oooh, the glamour, the luxury, the nostalgia! What a fun challenge, and these dresses are insanely gorgeous! I will live vicariously through you in this event, so be sure to post pics of the fabrics and your progress as well! I am committed to concentrating on my pants project for as long as it takes. :-0
    But, I'm still going to take a look at that book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The elegance of those images is breathtaking. I'm not surprised you're itching to get started with your projects. I'm trying to focus on the garden otherwise I'll just get distracted and wander off! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! Love your projects! So much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have that book! It's fun, not made anything from it yet but looked at it lots!
    I'm taking part in the UFO and Stash Busting over at misskatie-littleredsquirrel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I did do a challenge, in February. It was lettermo (A Month of Letters). I'm very proud of myself!

    Man, I wish I could make clothes like that! Of course, where I would wear them is a totally different story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, so lovely! I have just recently been drawn to vintage, so love looking at your designs. It will be fun to see pictures! Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends,
Thank you for taking the time to comment! ! I want this to be a space of free and open dialog, within the boundaries of respect and basic human kindness. Whether we are in agreement or not, all comments will be published so long as they meet that requirement.
xo, Anita