Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Reinventing {A Life}; An Important First Step


What happens when what you are doing stops working for you?  When the wheel will no longer spin, when you wake up more days than not dreading what lies ahead of you, when you just know that no amount of energy or effort will fix it? 

You change it, right?  Even at our weakest and most vulnerable, we know that the answer is that we must change it.  Go ahead, say it with me, shout it even: CHANGE IT!

Easier said than done, I know.  Your first question very well may be "change it to what?".  And a good question it is! 

Before I go further let me say that I am no expert on this subject, or on any subject, really.  But I've been reading some new blogs lately, blogs of some lovely writers who have been kind enough to take a few moments to read a bit here, perhaps leave a comment, or send me an email.  And on many of those blogs I've found a theme; we are all, in one way or another, looking to make a change.  It may be a small one or a big one; from changing a habit to changing a life.  And while I am no expert, I have undergone a life reinvention or two, and will share some of what I've learned in the hopes that it will help someone else.

Ask yourself this question: "If I could be or do anything I wanted to, what would it be?", and listen very carefully for the answer.  Sometimes we bury what our hearts desire is so far down beneath obligations and expectations that we forget what it even is, or that we ever had one in the first place.  We get so busy being where we are supposed to be, doing what is expected, performing routine tasks that we don't even know what we would do if we didn't do what we have been doing.

If the answer does not come easily to you, don't despair.  Sometimes we need to change our focus or shift our perception.  This may require a bit of patience, maybe even a bit of soul searching, but the answer will come.  And when it does, be prepared to be overcome with joy!  {Whenever I have had to do the really difficult searching, have had to really dig deep, it's been the most rewarding experience for me.  I am wishing the same for you!}

Consider these photos for a moment.  The composition of both are essentially the same, the only difference is the change in the focal point of the lens. 



Does it seem that the change in focal point changes which details your eyes are drawn to?

When we contemplate change, it's natural to feel resistance.  You may even spend some time convincing yourself that things are great just the way they are.  If that is in fact true, wonderful!  If it's not, keep digging.  I believe with my whole heart that it is never too late or too hard to make a change, if we want it badly enough.  Even the biggest of tasks can be broken down into smaller, more manageable ones.  And if your resistant little voice says something like "but it's going to take at least three years, and I'll be XX years old by then!", ask yourself how old you will be in three years if you don't undertake that change.

Perhaps change is such a hot topic these days because of the approaching season; Spring is a wonderful testimony to hope and renewal. The sun shines brighter than it has in a while, the flowers bloom, the birds chirp. It's an engraved invitation for a change!

What change would you make if you could change anything at all?  Or, perhaps nothing needs changing, but you have some advice for others dreaming of one.  In either case please share; I would love to hear!

xoxo, Anita

12 comments:

  1. Anita! So funny that I read this post tonight. My husband is going through this right now. It seems so clear to me what he needs to do but I think he hasn't figured out yet or faced what he needs to do to make a change. I'm forwarding him your blog. I'm hoping it might help him bring things into focus. Hugs from Texas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen! Thanks for visiting!
      I hope that this helps your husband. So often the people in our lives see things that need to be changed before we do, or before we are ready to admit it. He is lucky to have your support; a gentle nudge and loving support is exactly what is needed during times of change. Good luck to both of you!
      xo, Anita

      Delete
  2. Oh, Anita, this is wonderful. I very strongly support what you've said here! The times in my life when I've made huge leaps and dramatic changes have been the most wonderful1 My most recent dive into the unknown was when I left my 20-year career and went back to university full time. Every day was an absolute joy, being surrounded by the energy of people half my age and the unabashed love of learning shared by everyone from the lowliest intern to the president of the school. I felt I had found my people!
    Everyone has a bit of fear about change, this can even cloud our knowledge of what it is we want to do. Take heart, take the leap - the rewards will come even as you start your new journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such an inspiration, Anita. I read this earlier today and it made me so happy. The best thing I ever did was quit a well-paid, corporate job because it made me unhappy. I could have taken anti-depressants and continued living a life I hated but by eliminating what made me miserable improved my life no end. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Anita, talk about things that are meant to be. I am struggling so much this week and today is really bad. I feel overwhelmed, disappointed with myself that I haven't taken the necessary action to change and I want to change so, so badly! I know that when action is taken, even in the smallest steps, it makes a huge difference in making us feel better. But, taking that first step ... well ... you get the picture. Anyway, thanks for sharing your words of wisdom and inspiration. I know tomorrow will be better and next week is just simply going to have to rock:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that your tomorrow WAS better! As we approach this new week, I am wishing you many awesome things!
      xo

      Delete
  5. I find this small book inspiring - How to Change Your Life in 7 Steps by John Bird. Written by the founder of Big Issue Newspaper (sold in UK by homeless people - you can google). The premise is not to look at the huge task facing you but to make a small move towards it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for making that recommendation. I'll look at the book in Amazon. Sometimes I feel (like now), that if I don't make a change, I'm going to lose my mind. Ok, small movements:) Right now I'm reading and almost finished with Do The Work by Steven Pressfield. It's an easy and quick read.

      Delete
  6. this is rich and thick with muchness,
    Anita:)
    so wonderful, you.
    -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful cherry blossoms! =)

    http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Anita for the reminder! I absolutely know what I *should* be doing. Financially, I can't. It's frustrating, but I'm hoepful I can find a way...someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Financial restrictions are the most frustrating! But if your dream is meant to be, I believe that the way will present itself. Watch for it carefully; in my experience, dreams are often answered in the most unexpected ways! xo

      Delete

Dear friends,
Thank you for taking the time to comment! ! I want this to be a space of free and open dialog, within the boundaries of respect and basic human kindness. Whether we are in agreement or not, all comments will be published so long as they meet that requirement.
xo, Anita