Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Vintage Valentines


February.  Already?  Craziness!  Adding to my general confusion regarding the space-time continuum, here in the Mid-Atlantic we've had such a mild winter that it feels more like April than the beginning of February.  It's been warm and mild for a few days now, so much so that I've had all of the windows open in my house during the day.  And judging by the way everyone is dressing, they're just as confused as I am!  One woman I was chatting with at the organic market was wearing capri's and sandals, and we were joined by another in boots and a wool sweater.  What is your preference?  Do you dress for the calender, or dress for the forecast?


One thing I do know is that Valentine's Day is less than two weeks away.  I have some valentine themed decorations ready to put around the house, and realized earlier that if I want to deliver any homemade valentines or make any valentine themed crafts, I'd better get to it.


I found all of these vintage card images on the New York Public Library Digital Gallery, and thought that you might be able to make use of them as well!


(This one is for all of my artist friends!)


I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them yet.  I'm thinking of printing them out on card stock and decorating them with bits of vintage lace and pretty baubles.

Do you have any ideas for their use?  I would love to hear!

xo, Anita

5 comments:

  1. Oh I love these! Especially the one with the little flute player and juggler.
    I don't decorate or do anything in particular for Valentine's, but I did print a cute and funny vintage image to make cards for a couple of special people.
    Now I wish I'd put more thought into them, as I could really go to town with bits of velvet ribbon, buttons, etc. Yours will be keepsakes all over again once you add the lace and pretties. I hope you'll show what you end up with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute especially the cherub with the artist's palette. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vintage postcards print beautifully onto printable fabric sheets. Hoq lovely incorporated into a quilt or as the centre of a pillow? And still perfect to be adorned with vintage lace and trims.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! Vintage Valentines. I love them, Anita! And, I'll let you in on one of my secrets, my birthday is on Valentine's Day. Can you believe it?! Now, if you were to ask my mom how much of a sweetheart I am ... well, who knows what she might say:) Mom is 86 and doesn't hold back:) Anyway, just absolutely love these vintage postcards. It used to be so fun exchanging Valentines in grade school. Now there's some fun and fond memories:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. loving the valentines!
    and for the weather...I always dress for the weather.
    Can't bear being too hot
    or stuffy
    or scratchy
    or cold.
    was in t-shirts and capris for days:)
    back in coat,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends,
Thank you for taking the time to comment! ! I want this to be a space of free and open dialog, within the boundaries of respect and basic human kindness. Whether we are in agreement or not, all comments will be published so long as they meet that requirement.
xo, Anita