Saturday, February 11, 2012

I'm Sew Grateful For So Much


But what I am most grateful for is the love and support that I receive each and every day from my mister.  He inspires me to be a better person by the example he provides.  He puts his very best into every single thing he does, be it for work, home or family.  He is the best father that I have ever known!  Not a perfect father, mind you, but present and involved, loving, caring, giving, fun.  He is also the best friend I have ever had.  In all of the years that I have known him, through all that we have been through both separately and together, he has never judged me, put me down or dismissed me.  He knows all my secrets, and loves me both for them and in spite of them.


You may be wondering what all of this, nice as it is, has to do with sewing!  The simple fact is that I would not be sewing, or blogging for that matter, if it was not for him.  He believes in me and supports what is important to me, and knows that the hard work I have been putting in to forge a new life path for myself will pay off, even when I struggle with doubt.  Shortly after I started my blog he began one of his own in order to share the experience with me.  We do this side by side; he immersed in his music; learning, teaching and playing, and me involved with my sewing and stitching, vintage, books, writing and photography.


At this moment, I am so very grateful to be the owner of this beautiful 160th Anniversary, vintage inspired sewing machine by Singer.  It just arrived yesterday, and I can't wait to make something with it!  The story about how this machine came to be mine speaks to my gratitude, so I will share it with you.  If you are a regular reader and/or a part of my life either in person or on line, you may have heard me mention that mister and I do not exchange Christmas gifts.  We prefer to focus our holiday gift giving on family, and buy for each other when opportunity and means merge.  This machine was one of those times.  I actually learned about this machine on Debi's My Happy Sewing Place blog!  I immediately went to the Singer site, where I discovered that the machine would be featured on HSN in limited release at the end of January.  I marked my calendar, but when the day came, I went back and forth about spending money on a machine that did virtually all of the same things that my regular sewing machine did; it would be a complete splurge.  It went in and out of my shopping cart all day!  I finally made the purchase when the mister pointed out how much fun I could have with it, both for sewing and for blogging about sewing.  It really does fit in well with what I am doing here!  And while I admire the sewists who do all of their creating on true vintage machines, I do love the convenience of modern day electronics.  {Creating something on my inherited vintage machine, once I bring it home, is on my 101 in 1001 list; if you are a fan of vintage machines, watch for that!}  It will come in handy to have two machines, also.  Have you ever had a machine act up on you at the beginning of a rare full day set aside just for sewing?  I have, and it is not a happy occurrence.  Or have you ever needed to sew one simple seam in white thread, only to remember that your machine is currently set up with the black thread you're using to make the dress currently under the presser foot?  I've had that happen also, and am happy to know that I now have an alternative.  Not to mention the fact that owning two electronic machines, a serger and a vintage machine (the very one I was taught on!) makes me feel so very invested in this whole sewing thing.  I guess that means we can all look forward to more sewing happening around here in upcoming days! 


In honor of Sew Grateful week, I'm embarking on a special sewing project.  I received this beautiful sewing book by Liberty and a bundle of equally beautiful Liberty Art Fabrics Tana Lawn prints from a dear friend for Christmas.  I'm going to put the gift and the machine to good use by making the vintage inspired apron pictured on the cover.  Look for a post detailing the process in upcoming days!

What are you sew, so grateful for right now?  Please do share; I would love to hear!

xoxo, Anita

9 comments:

  1. WOW! You must let me know how that machine sews! I just ADORE it! What a lovely post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that picture of you and the mister, what a happy and lovely couple you make!
    That sewing machine's a beauty. I used to sew with a Victorian Singer and it was such a pain to use, my Toyota's an ugly beast but so easy! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anita! Great post! Love it! You guys are a cute couple! I also love the picture of the sewing machine! What a dream!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You two are so adorable and what a sweet post. We are stronger women when we have a good man at our side. Your new old machine is sexy and how cool it's yours!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's one of the sweetest
    most inspiring stories I've read.....blogging together
    to share the journey.
    You're one rich woman, Anita:)
    love all the loving going on over here:)
    -Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful, so wonderful. I LOVE all your blissful things, and they make me feel blissful, too. I've been meaning to tell you that I am very happy that your mister has recovered so well from his surgery. He seems to be a truly amazing person, and you two deserve each other and a happy, healthy life. Thanks for a lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely, natural photograph! We can see how happy you are together, your love shines through.
    I saw an ad for that sewing machine (in Threads mag?) - it caught my eye and my daughter's too. Glad to hear you've invested in yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a beautiful sewing machine! Looks a lot like my Featherweight (I actually did a double take when I saw those electronic numbers on it).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for your lovely comments about my mister and I, and about my pretty new machine, also!

    The support of this community is the best thing about blogging!

    xo, Anita

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends,
Thank you for taking the time to comment! ! I want this to be a space of free and open dialog, within the boundaries of respect and basic human kindness. Whether we are in agreement or not, all comments will be published so long as they meet that requirement.
xo, Anita