Thursday, February 16, 2012

Gone Too Soon



I was deeply shocked and saddened to hear of Whitney Houston's passing.  Several days have gone by since it happened, and yet I still find it hard to process.  I'm not sure that I completely understand why, but it feels a bit close.  Perhaps it is the sudden unexpectedness of it; seeing images of her smiling and singing just a short time before she was gone.  I think that tragic, pointless accidents are so hard to make peace with, because they defy all reason and logic.




Whitney was the voice, the singer of much of the soundtrack of my generation. She was my generation, born just two months before me, same year, same city. Never much of a celebrity watcher, I did pay attention to her in the early years. It was fun to watch her career take off, to see how much she accomplished as a young woman. I enjoyed having a role model of sorts my own age, from the same place.

I love all of her music, but I do have a particular favorite. 




I believe the children are our are future
Teach them well and let them lead the way
Show them all the beauty they possess inside
Give them a sense of pride to make it easier
Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be
Everybody searching for a hero
People need someone to look up to
I never found anyone to fulfill my needs
A lonely place to be
So I learned to depend on me
I decided long ago, never to walk in any one's shadows
If I fail, if I succeed
At least I live as I believe
No matter what they take from me
They can't take away my dignity
Because the greatest love of all
Is happening to me
I found the greatest love of all
Inside of me
The greatest love of all
Is easy to achieve
Learning to love yourself
It is the greatest love of all
I believe the children are our future
Teach them well and let them lead the way
Show them all the beauty they possess inside
Give them a sense of pride to make it easier
Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be
And if by chance, that special place
That you've been dreaming of
Leads you to a lonely place
Find your strength in love




It seems to me that since her passing there has been a lot of focus on what went wrong in her life.  I do understand the curiosity, but I don't share it.  I don't feel that it matters anymore who did what where, when, or with whom.  I think what's important now is that we focus our collective efforts on her greatest creation, her daughter, Bobbi Christina.  That we honor and respect her mother for what she gave the world.  That perhaps we acknowledge with sadness that she did not find the same joy from her gifts that they gave to others, but that we learn from that, not pass judgement.  That we do what we can to make sure that this young woman can always be proud to be the daughter of Whitney Houston, and that she has an opportunity to live beyond the legacy of her mother, and without her pain. Because, after all, the children are our future.

Rest in peace Whitney, and sing with the angels.

xoxo, Anita

3 comments:

  1. Such a tragic end to her life. I admit to shedding a tear when the BBC showed Whitney performing "I Wanna Dance With Somebody", she was so fresh-faced and with so much promise, it's so sad for those she's left behind. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see why this is difficult to process, since it really does hit close to home for you. She certainly had an amazing talent. I don't pay much attention to the negativity from the media, but I know it's out there. You've countered it nicely with your beautiful words here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for reminding me of that song. It once meant a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends,
Thank you for taking the time to comment! ! I want this to be a space of free and open dialog, within the boundaries of respect and basic human kindness. Whether we are in agreement or not, all comments will be published so long as they meet that requirement.
xo, Anita