Monday, January 16, 2012

Inspiring Words From Dr. King


We must all learn to live together as brothers
or we will all perish together as fools. 
We are tied together in the single garment of destiny,
caught in an inescapable network of mutuality.
And whatever affects one directly affects all indirectly.
For some strange reason I can never be what  I ought to be
until you are what you ought to be.
And you can never be what you ought to be
until I am what I ought to be.
This is the way God's universe is made...

~Martin Luther King, Jr.


Whether you attend one of the many parades around the country today honoring the work of MLK, or visit a memorial built in his honor, or simply take a few moments to read some of his words, it is important that we remember that he dedicated his life to the advancement of civil rights and the abolishment of the "The Triple Evils" ~ poverty, racism and war, for the benefit of all Americans. 

Let freedom ring.

xo, Anita


5 comments:

  1. Great quote from a great man. This day always reminds me of how much has changed in the last 50 years. In the 60s, we were encouraged to be color blind, as it was seen as the path to true equality. Today, treating everyone the same is considered culturally insensitive and politically incorrect. I guess it shows that people will always have trouble getting along, but the best of us keep trying, against all obstacles.
    Thank you for the inspirational words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, just saw your email and I thank you so much for the suggestion. I believe I have a new and different problem, as I can comment on some blogger blogs but not others. So far I have trouble with Gertie's, Peter's, and Oona's. But no problem with yours, Anna's, or Pam's. So confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right, Katrina; people will always have trouble getting along. I guess it's human nature; fortunately, there are those of us who keep trying!
    I am happy that you can comment here, but sad that I cannot comment on yours! I hope that you find the solution soon; I will do what I can to help!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes indeed....such powerful beauty.
    thanks for the share, sweet lady.
    -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Inspiration for all people, everywhere.

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends,
Thank you for taking the time to comment! ! I want this to be a space of free and open dialog, within the boundaries of respect and basic human kindness. Whether we are in agreement or not, all comments will be published so long as they meet that requirement.
xo, Anita