Sunday, January 1, 2012

Finding The Joy ~ 2012 Edition



It's a brand new year!  I lovelove the feeling of fresh starts, new opportunities and new discoveries that comes with it.  This year holds special promise for us; the success of the mister's surgery brings with it the opportunity to do many of the things (golfing! bide riding!) that we have been unable to do together for a while now.  Though to be honest, I am most looking forward to our first long walk, and first dance.  Yay!

On the subject of goals, I laid those out for myself pretty well in October when I wrote my 101 In 1001 list.  I keep pretty mindful of it, though I need to devote more time to reading.   I will also be starting two of the items on the list today; a new 365 photo project (my first attempt was a fail!), and recommitting to a daily yoga practice. 


On to the subject of New Year's resolutions.  I love the concept of new commitments, but am also mindful that the failure rate is pretty high; I've failed at a few myself!  However, I do believe that there are ways that we can up the odds for success.  Being specific is helpful; too specific or setting the bar too high invites failure, at least for me. 

For example, I would love to say that I will create something new every week, but the first week that my crazy life gets me off track will be the end of it.  So instead, I resolve to work on something creative every week.  Not letting more than a few days pass without being creative is actually good for my overall happiness. 

My second resolution is something that I try to do every day, but it is helpful to renew my commitment to it from time to time.  I resolve to find the joy in the moments, all of them.  I recognize that just because I imagine some happy thing presenting itself wrapped with a pretty pink bow, overlooking the thing tied with an orange ribbon instead is risking letting a moment of joy pass me by.  Joy is there in all of the moments.  Sometimes we have to adjust our focus to see it clearly, but it is there.  I resolve not to overlook it.

Happy 2012, dear friends!  I hope that it is your best year ever!  Do you set goals and/or make resolutions on New Year's day?  I would love to hear!
xoxo, Anita



4 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! I don't make resolutions but I like your plans. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. sooooo much joy and peace to you
    in your plans
    and I set my hope with yours
    for that first walk together
    ....and the dance!
    Hope your love for each other
    grows while the mending happens:)
    grace, grace, grace,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at those flowers! Beautiful.
    I like your idea of re-committing to things that are important to you.
    Best wishes to you and the mister for happiness and health in 2012!

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends,
Thank you for taking the time to comment! ! I want this to be a space of free and open dialog, within the boundaries of respect and basic human kindness. Whether we are in agreement or not, all comments will be published so long as they meet that requirement.
xo, Anita