Sunday, January 29, 2012

Escape From Darkness {Release Of Fear} And Miracles


You may have read in earlier posts that I am taking an online class, "How To Build A Blog You Truly Love".  I am thoroughly enjoying it, and a big part of the reason for that is how engaged all of the participants are.  We interact in comments on class posts, in a private group on Facebook, and by visiting each other's blogs. 

One reoccurring topic of discussion is the feeling of fear that overcomes most of us, even paralyzes some, at the thought of being exposed in our writing .  I well remember how afraid I was the first time I hit the "Publish" button!  There it went, a little part of me, forever into the universe, for all to view.  But must we experience fear?  Is there an alternative?

I pulled my copy of "A Course In Miracles" from the shelf to do some exploration on the subject, and this is what I found ~ ~

***(please note: The Course uses Christian terms, but in non traditional, non religious ways.  Feel free to substitute anything you are more comfortable with; Shiva, Allah, Krishna and Goddess, to name but a few, work just as well.)

The escape from darkness involves two stages: First, the recognition that darkness cannot hide.  This step usually entails fear.  Second, the recognition that there is nothing you want to hide, even if you could. This step brings escape from fear.  When you become willing to hide nothing, you will not only be willing to enter into communion, but also understand peace and joy.
Holiness can never be really hidden in darkness, but you can deceive yourself about it.  This deception makes you fearful because you realize in your heart it is a deception, and you exert enormous efforts to establish its reality.  The miracle sets reality where it belongs.  Reality belongs only to the spirit, and the miracle acknowledges only truth.  It thus dispels illusions about yourself, and puts you in communion with yourself and God.  The miracle joins in the Atonement by placing the mind in the service of the holy spirit.  This establishes the proper function of the mind and corrects its errors, which are merely lacks of love.  Your mind can be possessed by illusions, but spirit is eternally free.  If a mind perceives without love, it perceives an empty shell and is unaware of the spirit within.  But the Atonement restores spirit to its proper place.  The mind that serves spirit is invulnerable.

An important takeaway for me is not that I need feel compelled to share every bit of my story with my readers,  Rather, in order to be at peace and to experience joy, I cannot deny any of my truths to myself.  It is in forgiving myself and loving myself that the darkness is driven away.


The Amaryllis in these photos is this year's edition of what is an annual miracle for me.  Every year in December I receive from a beloved Aunt a pot of dirt containing Amaryllis bulbs.  I take it out, place it somewhere that I will see it everyday, water as instructed, and wait.  In a few days a peak of green appears, and over the next days and weeks is the slow unfolding of what you see here.  Some years it blooms white or pink instead of red, some years yield but a single massive blossom.  I never know what will emerge, but for me the miracle is that something always does.  A bit of grace from a handful of dirt.

Do you believe in miracles, friends?  Please do share your thoughts; I would love to hear!

xoxo, Anita

2 comments:

  1. Hi Anita! I came over from BBTL. Love your amaryllis! I hadn't thought about A Course in Miracles for years - I loved that book when it first came out. This is a lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, lots to think about today. It's an interesting philosophy about darkness and illusions. I've stepped partly out of the darkness, but keep one foot in there still, out of fear. I hide things, but am very inconsistent about it, so I forget what's a secret and what's not.
    The garden is the ideal place to observe miracles on a regular basis. Even after studying botany for years, I am still absoutely amazed when a new seedling raises its head above ground, or a flower transforms into a fruit.

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends,
Thank you for taking the time to comment! ! I want this to be a space of free and open dialog, within the boundaries of respect and basic human kindness. Whether we are in agreement or not, all comments will be published so long as they meet that requirement.
xo, Anita