Saturday, December 3, 2011

Inspiration Is All Around Us

One of the things that I love about living near our nations capital is the opportunity it provides to learn more about our history in a larger than life way that can't help but inspire. 

The newest addition  to the national mall, the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial, is an amazing site to behold!




While doing some reading about  MLK and the great work that he dedicated his life to, I came across the following quote; one that spoke to me in a profound way.

AGAPE means nothing sentimental or basically affectionate; it means understanding, redeeming good will for all men, an overflowing love which seeks nothing in return.  It is the love of God working in the lives of men.  When we love on the agape level we love men not because we like them, not because their attitudes and ways appeal to us, but because God loves them.  Here we rise to the position of loving the person who does the evil deed while hating the deed he does.

It reminds me of something that my mother taught me as a child; a lesson she repeated whenever appropriate: "I may not agree with what you do, but I will defend to the death your right to do it".

This way of thinking presents a real challenge sometimes; it is often the easier path to write off the person who does not share our value system.  But what a loss that would be! 

Today, I am embracing the reminder to love ALL of my friends and family, even the ones {especially the ones} that I don't always agree with.  Hard work perhaps, even messy, but oh so worth it!

xoxo, Anita

3 comments:

  1. It's a concept that many religions claim as a central tenet, yet how many people actually practice this in real life? It is difficult to do.
    I personally am not quite evolved enough to offer loving-kindness to everyone who offends me in some way, but I do find it much easier if they are far away rather than right in front of me!
    Thank you for sharing this reminder of a great man and a great philosophy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful truth...thanks for the ponder:)
    Love and grace,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Mum's words sound so much like my Mum's. She sounds like a fabulous woman to have known. x

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends,
Thank you for taking the time to comment! ! I want this to be a space of free and open dialog, within the boundaries of respect and basic human kindness. Whether we are in agreement or not, all comments will be published so long as they meet that requirement.
xo, Anita