Friday, November 4, 2011

Toltec Wisdom

The Toltec culture began thousands of years ago as a group of scientists and artists who came together to explore and preserve the spiritual knowledge and practices of those who came before them.  Toltec knowledge is based in the same essential unity of truth as the sacred esoteric traditions in practice all over the world.  While not a religion, it embraces spirit and can be best described as a way of life based on the ready accessibility of happiness and love.

I first learned about Toltec culture several years ago, when I came across a book called "The Four Agreements" by Don Miguel Ruiz.  The agreements are based in Toltec wisdom, and offer a path towards a life of spiritual harmony.  I've been feeling the need to revisit and recommit to the agreements, so I thought I would share them with you here.

1.  BE IMPECCABLE WITH YOUR WORD
Speak with integrity.  Say only what you mean.  Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others.  Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.

2.  DON'T TAKE ANYTHING PERSONALLY
Nothing others do is because of you.  What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream.  When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won't be the victim of needless suffering.

3.  DON'T MAKE ASSUMPTIONS
Find the courage to ask questions and express what you really want.  Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness and drama.  With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.

4.  ALWAYS DO YOUR BEST
Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick.  Under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self judgement, self abuse, and regret.

I really do try to live by these agreements every day.  When I find myself falling short, it is usually because I took something personally that I shouldn't have.  As part of a blended family, I sometimes take ownership of or responsibility for issues that have nothing to do with me.  I need to keep aware of this, and to commit to being more objective and less subjective.

Do you see one agreement that would present more of a challenge to you that the others?  Which one is it?  I would love to hear!

Wishing you a day filled with happiness and love!

xoxo, Anita

5 comments:

  1. Wow I read this post at exactly the right time. I just listened to my voice mail and I had a message from someone who didn't know me. She was upset that she got my voice mail and proceeded to call me an idiot. I was really upset about it and then I read your post. I just can't take it personally. The caller does not know me and I have not spoken with her before... she was upset and my voice mail was the only thing she could vent to. Thank you for posting this and now I am off to google more info on The Toltec Culture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad! It's sad that the caller projected her misery on to you, but great that you are choosing to move past it rather than accept it. For me happy means finding joy in the moments; thanks for spreading some joy!
    xo, Anita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting! I have heard of the book but never read it, so it is great to get this summary.
    My challenge in life is assumptions: I operate almost entirely on intuition, and this often equates to "jumping to conclusions" and "making assumptions." It's a lifelong habit and one that I struggle to counteract with more rational behavior, like simply asking questions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What amazingly wise words. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow.....really bearing down on the second one.
    Amazingly needful right now.
    Thanks for sharing these pearls.
    Bathing in this golden light,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends,
Thank you for taking the time to comment! ! I want this to be a space of free and open dialog, within the boundaries of respect and basic human kindness. Whether we are in agreement or not, all comments will be published so long as they meet that requirement.
xo, Anita