Saturday, November 26, 2011

Small Business {Everyday}

I've had a few conversations recently with friends about their dissatisfaction with shopping experiences at department and chain stores.  For one person it was the observation that the friendly and helpful salesperson is all but extinct.  I hear over and over about the poor quality of much of the women's clothing offerings.  And everyone seems tired of the hunt for the best price.  Why can't a manufacturer just offer it all the time, in every store?  And I am sure that this is being talked about quite a bit right now, thanks to the story on the news about customers using mace on each other to get at the best priced electronic offering at a retailer on Black Friday.  To me, that's just sad.

While I can't say that I never shop at those stores, I will tell you that I have worked very hard over the last year to discover as many alternatives as I can.  Virtually everything that I need to run my home is purchased within a few miles of it, from small local establishments.  I go to a farmers market, a fish market and an independent organic market for everything I can, and fill in the rest at a chain store. 

And I can't even tell you the last time I was at a mall!  Discovering Etsy opened a whole new world of shopping for me, and I've dedicated quite a bit of time to learning the ins and outs of the virtual world of independent sellers.  Today, I am going to introduce you to a few of my favorites.  These are the shops that I have bought from and will again, places where your money would be well spent, with people who work hard to earn it.  {{Please know that I have not been compensated for these recommendations; in fact the shops I am featuring here have no idea that I'm even doing it.  I simply wish to provide options that I personally believe in.}}

First up is my favorite natural and organic fibers clothing line, Sandmaiden


Amanda makes clothes that you can live in comfortably and look good doing it.  From jerseys to woolens, pants to jackets, there is something for everyone.  And the best part?  Everything is custom made to your measurements.  Heaven!

Also by Amanda is Sandmaiden Sleepwear, a line of lingerie to live in and lounge clothes you'll want to wear everywhere.


There is a sale code right now, (good through November 28) and orders are being taken for holiday delivery until December 5.

For Jewelery, I love Moorea Seal.   Her shop is full of pieces made with leather, mixed metals, crystals and stones.  They are well made, packaged beautifully, and sure to please.  She is also offering a discount code, through Sunday, November 27. 


What lover of books wouldn't love a book necklace?  And be sure to check out the customizable leather bracelets; so many choices!

Last up is one that I've mentioned before, Red Velvet.  They've recently launched a line of bow accessories, just perfect for gift giving.

 

I wouldn't wait long if you want one though; things there tend to disappear fast!

I hope that your holiday season is off to a wonderful start, dear friends!  I have about a weeks worth of decking the halls to look forward to; I'd better get started!  Fa la la la la!!

xoxo, Anita

4 comments:

  1. These are beautiful. I just love trolling through etsy and finding each perfectly handcrafted or carefully collected item. It gives me so much hope that there are millions of creative, caring craftspeople and buyers out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such lovely things and in this day and age of mass produced, poorly made, unethical tat it's well-worth putting yourself out and finding treasures like these. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love etsy!! I've already bought a Christmas present from an etsy seller. I shop local too. I loathe the "mall" and up until a few weeks ago had not stepped into a "Wal-Mart" (the big grocer here) in more than a year.

    Sadly, WM opened a Wal-Mart Express in the tiny neighboring town where I shopped for groceries at the local store. My little grocer was forced to close within a month. I was so upset! Now literally the only grocery stores within driving distance to me are Wal-Mart or Wal-Mart owned. :(

    I'm enjoying your blog very much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, yes, YES!
    THANK you...so wonderful to to my heart,
    these words:)
    Soooo feeling you
    and grateful for the sweet share.
    love and season's graces,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends,
Thank you for taking the time to comment! ! I want this to be a space of free and open dialog, within the boundaries of respect and basic human kindness. Whether we are in agreement or not, all comments will be published so long as they meet that requirement.
xo, Anita