Friday, October 7, 2011

A Search For Meaning

"We ought,
so far as it lies within our power,
to aspire to immortality,
and to do all we can to live in conformity
with the highest that is within us;
for even if it is small in quantity,
in power and preciousness,
it far excels all the rest."

~ Aristotle


Do you give much thought to what your purpose, your reason for being is?  I believe that we are all put on earth for something;  maybe we have a story to tell, or a goal to accomplish.  I also believe that many people get so wrapped up in the day to day of life that they never really discover what their true purpose is.  I am making a conscious effort to discover mine, and to find a way to leave the world just a bit better than I found it. 

How I'm going to do that is definitely a work in progress!  What about you?  Are you doing your life's work, or searching for what it might be?  I would love to hear!

Happy Friday, friends!

xoxo, A

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh I have been in this mental battle of "What am i doing here" for a while. I was going to school for real estate and after a year and a half I realized it wasn't what I wanted to do. So now I am crafting hand made things and doing makeup at craft fairs. For now this is what I want and need, but I know eventually I want to go back to school and move up in life... where ever up happens to be. :) Taking it day by day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy to hear that I am not the only one having that mental battle! Making things by hand and doing makeup at craft fairs sounds lovely. And if moving up is your dream and school is your path, it will work! With a bit of good grace, a way will appear that allows you to stay true to your artistic self. Thanks for sharing! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely wonder about my purpose and my path, since so far my life has been a bit like a pinball bouncing from one thing to another, each time thinking that was my life's true calling. At times I feel that I may be falling behind in my search, or that I may never find "it". But right now I am trying to give myself a little leeway by thinking maybe we can make a big difference by making many small differences, and all the accomplishments and contributions over a lifetime, even if they seemed disconnected and insignificant, might add up to something really big. (Although maybe I'm just justifying my current directionless state.:))
    I'm probably repeating myself but I feel so fortunate that I've been able to wander all these different paths, see which ones aren't for me, and which ones take me to yet another opportunity.
    I love that you bring up these questions for us to ponder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It keeps getting simpler for me
    as time goes on
    and I become less ambitious
    and more focused
    ....just love.
    I want to love
    with all that I am.
    I think maybe that is enough:)
    love and thanks for the ponder,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends,
Thank you for taking the time to comment! ! I want this to be a space of free and open dialog, within the boundaries of respect and basic human kindness. Whether we are in agreement or not, all comments will be published so long as they meet that requirement.
xo, Anita