Thursday, September 1, 2011

Vintage Inspiration

The prompt for the Gussy Sews Inspiration Workshop this week is Vintage.  Join us, won't you?



The Singer sewing machines of my childhood remain the most amazing machines that I have ever used.  Each of my grandmothers had one and used it well, teaching (at least one!) daughter to use it along the way.


Those daughters (my mother, and my paternal aunt) taught me to sew on the very machines they learned on.  It was such a treat to go to my grandmother's homes and be allowed to use the machines that they used so skillfully!


And while I now use an electronic machine that has all of the modern bells and whistles, my heart belongs to these early Singer machines. 

During a visit to my paternal family home earlier this summer, I learned that the machine of my childhood will be mine for a while.  Some of the wood needs TLC, but the machine itself still works!  I look forward to bringing it home and restoring it to all of its original beauty, but true sentimentalist that I am, I am quite content to know that it sits proudly in my grandmother's kitchen.

1 comment:

  1. I remember one like that
    in my grandmother's upstairs hallway.
    My mom learned to sew on it
    and felt so fondly for it.
    I still remember the soothing rhythm
    of my mother's own machine
    bobbing and trundling
    ...something beautiful was happening
    once the pins were all safely removed:)
    Sweet memories.
    Thanks for taking me back...
    -Jen

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends,
Thank you for taking the time to comment! ! I want this to be a space of free and open dialog, within the boundaries of respect and basic human kindness. Whether we are in agreement or not, all comments will be published so long as they meet that requirement.
xo, Anita