Thursday, September 15, 2011

Inspired {1970's} Sewing

The sudden dip in temperatures has me anxious to do some Autumn sewing!  Without a project in mind, I've put together a few pattern and fabric pairings in search of a perfect Fall dress.  Today was all about the 1970's, and I thought that I would share a few here. I'm open to any and all suggestions!


This ivory and black Dior fabric has a fun vibe!  I was thinking of doing the dress in the chevron design, and lengthening the jacket pattern to dress length and constructing it in a coordinating fabric. 


This camel and black dupioni silk is so crisp, and would look very pretty in the short sleeved red and white version. Alternately I was thinking of using the long sleeve style shown in the floral print, but in a sheer black fabric instead of the plaid, which I feel is too crisp for that sleeve.  My third option is to do it long and sleeveless.  I think that all three versions would work for fall into winter; the short dresses with tights for colder weather, or a black cardigan added to the sleeveless version.


I fell in love with this mustard colored organic bamboo/cotton/spandex blend on sight, and bought yards without having any idea what to do with it.  I've had this pattern in my stash forever, and it feels like a perfect match for the extra wide width (64") of the fabric.  The skirt is just two pieces, and to be long enough for me (I'm 5'10" tall), the extra few inches will come in handy!  And again, a short black cardigan and ballet flats will make it perfect for fall.



It's no secret that I am in love with (and collect!) Diane von Furstenberg dresses, wraps in particular.  When I found this {uncut!!} pattern on Etsy, I snatched it up!  The first fabric I have it paired with is a 70's polyester that I also found on Etsy, and there is just enough to make the short version. 

I will definitely be making the long version in a black silk jersey.  I was thinking of making it in the tie dyed jersey shown here first, as a trial run.  A wearable muslin, as it were! 

Have you started sewing for your Autumn/Winter wardrobe yet, or are you still in the planning stages?  I would love to hear!

xoxo, Anita

4 comments:

  1. Hi Anita love the idea of the second dress with a long sheer sleeve or just the short sleeve short version. Also love that simplicity pattern for the multi dress, did you know its selling for over $70 dollars on etsy and ebay - the pattern that is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea that the pattern was going for that much! Since the one that I have is uncut, I think maybe I will trace it off for myself and then feature it in a blog giveaway. Maybe for my blogiversary.

    I am liking the short dress version of the second one, too. Maybe I will make it up first and then choose the sleeve at first fitting.

    Thanks for stopping by! XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. this brings back such happy memories
    of all those delicious possibilities
    that crinkle and swish
    like the patterns and pinking shears:)
    I love your passion.
    And you!
    -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOh a giveaway how generous.
    I would love to see a made up version too

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends,
Thank you for taking the time to comment! ! I want this to be a space of free and open dialog, within the boundaries of respect and basic human kindness. Whether we are in agreement or not, all comments will be published so long as they meet that requirement.
xo, Anita