Monday, August 8, 2011

When Life Gives You Bananas...

We like bananas around here, but always seem to end up with a few that look like this ~


Sometimes, I think that the mister makes sure that this happens, because he loves it when I turn them into my {famous} Chocolate Chip Banana Bread.

Fun fact about me: I hate to throw food away; it violates the very core of my{reduce ~ reuse ~ repurpose} green living lifestyle commitment.  So turning past it's prime produce into yummy baked goods is my idea of fun!

This is the easiest recipe for Banana Bread ever, and it is seriously the best I have ever had.  If you make it, it will be the best you have ever had, too.  Promise!

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and prepare a loaf pan square cake pan with cooking spray or butter.

Mash 3 to 4 ripe to overripe bananas in a bowl.
Add:  1/4 cup melted butter (or applesauce for a lower fat option)
          1 cup sugar
          1 1/2 cups flour
          1/4 teaspoon salt
          1 egg, beaten
          1 teaspoon baking soda
          chocolate chips ~ as many as you want!

Mix it all together with a wooden spoon.


Pour it into the loaf pan and bake in the center of the oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 55 to 60 minutes.


Slice, serve and enjoy!


If you make this, I would love to hear what you think!

xoxo, Anita

{After several experiences with the bread not setting in the center, I tried it in a cake pan instead of a loaf pan, with much better results.  If it makes you crazy to bake "bread" in a cake pan, let it cool for a few minutes after removing it from the oven, sprinkle it with powdered sugar, and call it a cake!  xoxo}

3 comments:

  1. I miss bananas!!! They are about $15 a kilo here at the moment and are all yucky so not worth the money... It's like a treat to buy one.... oh banana bread and banana cake and banana smoothies and banana toast how i miss thee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Alyssa, that's horrible! There was a time last year that it was hard to find a good banana, but they stayed inexpensive. I hope that the price comes down for you!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saved this post so I could try it - it's in the oven right now!!!

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends,
Thank you for taking the time to comment! ! I want this to be a space of free and open dialog, within the boundaries of respect and basic human kindness. Whether we are in agreement or not, all comments will be published so long as they meet that requirement.
xo, Anita