Thursday, July 21, 2011

Inspiration in Black and White

The list of what inspires me is long, very long.  It is also a topic I talk about frequently here on my blog, so you may be familiar with some of the things that spark my creativity; maybe we even share some things in common. 

But every once in a while I have one of those days when I am feeling incapable of being inspired.  Nothing sparks my creativity or my desire to make something pretty, or yummy, or shiny and happy.  Do you ever have one of those days?  What do you do? 

I head over to my DVD collection, pick out an old favorite, and sit down {with my two baby Maltese curled in my lap!} for a bit of classic movie magic. 

Black and white movies filled with beautiful people, scenery and styling are a passion of mine.  Here are a few that I love:


In 'Now, Voyager' Bette Davis plays Charlotte Vale, an overweight and unattractive spinster dominated by her mother.  She is transformed under the care of a kind doctor at his clinic, takes a cruise using someone else's identity and wearing their fabulous wardrobe (pretty much a dream come true!), meets a man and falls in love.  The ending isn't the happily ever after the viewer might be hoping for, but it is quite satisfactory none the less.  This movie inspires me by reminding me of one of my core philosophies; it is never too late to have a life, and never too late to change one.



My second pick also stars the great Bette Davis.  Are you sensing a theme here?  She is my all time favorite screen star!  This time she plays Judith Traherne, a young and spoiled socialite who only thinks of herself.  But her life takes a dramatic turn when she becomes ill, and she manages to find her heart and humanity with her doctor, whom she eventually marries.  Not a happy ending, but a beautiful one that always reminds me to find the joy in the moments and to try to be the best version of myself.

And while we are on the subject of Ms. Davis, let's talk about:


This movie held the record for the most academy award nominations until Titanic tied it in 1997.
It stars BD as Margo Channing, a brilliant but aging Broadway star, and Ann Baxter as Eve, the woman who appears to be sweet and loyal, but is actually only out for herself.


This movie has a bit of everything in it; drama at it's finest, costumes and settings to die for, and even a small part for a young Marilyn Monroe.  It always serves as a great reminder to me to not take myself quite so seriously, that good usually trumps evil in the end, and while we don't always get exactly what we want, what we get usually ends up being exactly what we need.

I love a good movie that renews my faith in the human race.  For me, feeling good equals seeing good equals doing good.  And that's inspiring!

What inspires YOU?  I am going to head over to the Gussy Sews linky party to see what some others have to say about it.  Join us, won't you?



xoxo,

Anita

1 comment:

  1. I love Bette Davis!!! My favorite movie of hers is Marked Woman. I haven't watched it in years, but I have seen it 3 or 4 times. I'll have to check out these ones :)

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends,
Thank you for taking the time to comment! ! I want this to be a space of free and open dialog, within the boundaries of respect and basic human kindness. Whether we are in agreement or not, all comments will be published so long as they meet that requirement.
xo, Anita