Sunday, June 26, 2011

Sunday is Family Day

I love Sunday's.  If you have been here before, you already know this, as well as why it is so.  For those who are here for the first time, I will tell you why I love Sunday's.  To me, Sunday is family day.  When I was growing up (not so long ago, really!) stores, malls, and many restaurants were still closed on Sunday.  We slept in (I was raised my a single mom, so her weekend sleep was sacred!) then went to noon mass before going home to prepare a meal for company, or we went visiting after church.  It was a day for family, friends and community.  We gathered together rather than drifting apart.

In these days of 24/7 wired and connected and working and shopping, I still make an effort to reserve Sunday for family.  Some days we go to church, then either out for lunch, or home to entertain.  Other Sunday's we spend doing things around the house that we have a hard time getting to in our day to day life.

Today was a day for the second option.  We spent many hours working on our landscaping, while resigning ourselves to the fact that  it will be many weeks before we are done.  It is not a sprint, but a marathon;  it does not matter so much how fast we finish, but rather that we manage to finish.




Then we came in, got cleaned up, and made dinner.  We prepared grilled shrimp brushed with BBQ sauce, fresh green beans, and blackened salmon. 


This salmon is a very simple dish to prepare.  Start with some nice thick cuts of salmon fillet with the skin on.  Spray a broiler pan with olive oil spray, and preheat your broiler.  Squeeze fresh lemon juice over each piece, and coat generously with a Cajun seasoning.  I used Emeril's Fish Rub tonight.  Place under the broiler, and cook until the center of the fillet is medium rare.

I hope that your Sunday was wonderful, too!

xoxo, a.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear friends,
Thank you for taking the time to comment! ! I want this to be a space of free and open dialog, within the boundaries of respect and basic human kindness. Whether we are in agreement or not, all comments will be published so long as they meet that requirement.
xo, Anita