Sunday, June 19, 2011

Sharing Thoughts On Living a Greener Life

First of all, cheers and Happy Father's Day wishes to you and yours!!




One of the things that I am most passionate about in my life is finding ways to live 'greener'; to adopt practices and make lifestyle adjustments that are kind to our planet and to the people living on it. 

I learned early in my journey toward the greener life that it is easy to become overwhelmed by all of the information available, and that the process can become daunting to the point of being off-putting.  To avoid the very real possibility of giving up the whole thing, I decided to adopt the KISS {{Keep It Simple, Stupid!}}  method and take it one small step at a time. 

One of my favorite ways to do this is to support independent and local businesses whenever I can.  This is actually pretty easy to accomplish, with just a bit of commitment to the process.  For example, I like to shop at a farm stand or a local farmers market first, before I hit a 'chain' store.  The farmers market concept has developed far beyond just produce in recent years.  Many are operated indoors and year round.  I can get locally produced dairy products, baked goods, meats, poultry and fish at mine as well.  And it is such a nice feeling to be supporting my neighbors and their livelihoods!

 I have also discovered that several grocery store chains maintain a practice of buying goods from local producers.  The companies that do this generally advertise the practice on their websites and in the stores themselves, so it is simple to find out if your favorite store or one near to you is in the practice of supporting it's neighbors.  Check it out!

I hope that everyone is having a wonderful Father's Day Sunday!  I am off to have a glass of {Locally Produced!} wine with my mister to toast his day. 

Love to you all!

xoxo, a.

4 comments:

  1. Great post! I have been trying to do the same thing, and I found that it was quite easy to get overwhelmed. A book that I found which helped me out a lot was Gorgeously Green. It's written in a conversational tone and was really motivating in terms of going green. I got it from my local library - you might want to check it out! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your vision
    and your heart:)
    Glad to find you!
    -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is really pretty!
    I don't sew in the traditional sense of the word, but I do make fabric collages. Making a garment makes me a bit nervous and my mom always ends up doing all the work while I "help."

    I too am trying to reduce my impact on the earth. I am finding we can get along with only one car--at least at the moment.

    What an unusual table--is it in your house? Love the red ducks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Sandra!
    I do sew and make garments, but I use the word 'sew' in my blog title to encompass things that I make with a needle and thread, things that I make in general, and the handmade community as a whole. So it applies to you, too!
    And yes, that table is in my house. It is part of the collection of golf related items that fill the room that flows into our kitchen; the centerpiece being a putting green! The ducks are hand carved and from a line called 'dcuk' made by woodstock environments in Shokan, NY. I just love them; they make me smile every summer when I pull them out.
    xo, a.

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends,
Thank you for taking the time to comment! ! I want this to be a space of free and open dialog, within the boundaries of respect and basic human kindness. Whether we are in agreement or not, all comments will be published so long as they meet that requirement.
xo, Anita