Thursday, June 2, 2011

Handmade

Creating by hand has always been a big part of my life.  I come from a family of makers, and have been surrounded by hand crafted items my entire life.  My first and favorite doll was made by hand.  My home is filled with items made by family and loved ones.  These items inspire me every day to create. 

I did not meet one of the makers I find most inspiring; my mister's father, until I was an adult.  Part of what inspires me so much about him is that he learned his craft as a retired person, so it wasn't until later in life that he became his most creative self.  It reminds me that no one can be wholly defined by what they do, and that we have many opportunities throughout our life to define and redefine who we are.

Dad learned wood working, and made many beautiful things that he gave as gifts, donated to charity, and sold at craft shows.  We are fortunate to have many of these items in our home, though what we have is just a fraction of the body of work he created. 

I start with a framed newspaper article of him in a frame that he made.


A book case that he made, filled with toys that he made as well:





Hand crafted items in my kitchen:






And throughout the house: 





I am heading over to Gussy Sews to link up to the first linky party of her Inspiration Workshop.  I can't wait to read some other posts inspired by 'Handmade'!  Click on the button below to check it out for yourself!

Gussy Sews Inspiration Workshop!

xoxo,  Anita

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear friends,
Thank you for taking the time to comment! ! I want this to be a space of free and open dialog, within the boundaries of respect and basic human kindness. Whether we are in agreement or not, all comments will be published so long as they meet that requirement.
xo, Anita