Sunday, May 22, 2011

A new blog feature // A cookie by any other name...

I don't know about you, but for me Sundays have always been a family day.  I have a picture in my mind of myself wearing a stunning vintage dress ~ complete with pearls, high heels and apron of course! ~ serving a perfectly prepared meal to the family members gathered around my dining room table.

In reality, with everyone having such busy schedules, that pretty picture does not come to life too often.  Holidays such as Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas offer some variation of family gathered, though pearls are not always involved.  But family days always have one thing in common ~ good food!  Whether assembled prettily around the dining room table or sitting at the kitchen counter while watching TV, one thing my family loves to do when we gather is to eat! 

I have decided to start a new Sunday feature here on the blog to share with you some of the foods that I enjoy preparing for my family and friends.  I hope that you like it!



Whether you call it a scooter pie, a gob or my personal favorite; whoopie pie, these filled cookies are delicious!  So without further ado, let's make whoopie!

For the chocolate cookies you will need 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour, 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 4 tablespoons (room temperature) unsalted butter, 4 tablespoons Crisco, 1 cup (packed) dark brown sugar, 1 large egg, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1 cup milk.

Position a rack in the center of your oven, preheat it to 375 degrees, and line a few baking sheets with parchment paper.

Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.  Beat together the butter, shortening and brown sugar on low speed until just combined.  Increase the speed to medium and beat until fluffy and smooth, about 3 minutes.




Add the egg and vanilla and beat for another two minutes.

Add half the flour mixture and half the milk to the batter and beat on low until just incorporated, scrape the side of the bowl and add the remaining flour mixture and milk and beat until completely combined.

Using a spoon (for the large cookies that I made, a two tablespoon measure works perfectly!) drop the batter onto the baking sheet.



Bake them one sheet at a time for about 10 minutes.  They are done to perfection when they spring back when pressed gently in the center.  Allow them to cool for about 5 minutes and transfer them to a rack to cool completely.

I will be back later today to make the filling and to share a link to the fun book this recipe came from.

I hope that you are having a wonderful, family filled Sunday!!

xoxo, a.

2 comments:

  1. Oh! And I've been doing so well with my resolution to give up sugar!! I dunno if I will be able to continue now.. grrrrrrr.. temptation..

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are going to give in to temptation, these are worth it! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends,
Thank you for taking the time to comment! ! I want this to be a space of free and open dialog, within the boundaries of respect and basic human kindness. Whether we are in agreement or not, all comments will be published so long as they meet that requirement.
xo, Anita