Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day



Memorial Day is the holiday that marks the unofficial start of summer in the states.  But more than that, it is a day set aside to pay tribute to the men and women who gave their lives in service of our country. 

When I was a child we traveled to Pennsylvania every year on the Thursday or Friday before Memorial Day to open up our lake side cottage and prepare for a weekend of cook outs and family time.  And on Monday morning we drove the short distance down the road to the cemetery to decorate the family graves, including that of my grandfather, who served in both World Wars.  I am so proud of him and the service he gave to our country. 

I hope that everyone takes a moment today to remember those who have served throughout the history of our country so that we may continue to live free.

And I hope that everyone is surrounded today by family and friends and happy times!


I decorated my cookies with some colored sugar for the holiday buffet.  It's a beautiful sunny summer-like day here.  I hope that it is in your corner of the world, too!

xoxo, a.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear friends,
Thank you for taking the time to comment! ! I want this to be a space of free and open dialog, within the boundaries of respect and basic human kindness. Whether we are in agreement or not, all comments will be published so long as they meet that requirement.
xo, Anita