Saturday, March 5, 2011

Thrifting Loot

I found myself with a few free minutes after my errands were done, so I decided to spend them in my favorite local thrift shops.  I wasn't searching for anything in particular, which is the way I best like to thrift.  It allows me to take everything in, rather than overlooking all of the items that don't meet the qualifications of whatever I am on the hunt for.  I went to two shops for a total of about an hour, and this is what I came away with:


What you see here is booklet on macramรฉ from 1978 written by a small group if indie crafters and in perfect condition, which cost me all of 20 cents.  Next to it is a golf ashtray that set me back 75 cents.  There are no smokers in my house, but we do have a fun collection of new and vintage golf items that this is a perfect addition to.  I also found a set of 6 lace edged cocktail napkins just perfect to embroider on, and a handkerchief that is hand embroidered.  I love to find examples of other peoples embroidery for my collection.  You can almost always learn something from examining someone else's stitches. 


This is a pile of six different hand made doilies that I collected between the two shops.  I am not sure what I am going to do with them yet, but I see many interesting possibilities here!

Do you thrift?  My favorite shops are the ones that accept donations and benefit a charitable organization.  They are generally staffed by super friendly volunteers, and come in all sizes, from small boutiques in donated space, to the larger department store style Salvation Army and Goodwill Stores.

I also enjoy the privately owned stores with collections curated from garage sales and estates.  The prices tend to be higher because there is a markup on the goods, but most of your finds will be be in good to excellent condition. 

Do you thrift?  Where do you like to go?  I would love to hear!

xoxo, A.

2 comments:

  1. Would you love to read more on thrifting? Visit here:
    http://herlibraryadventures.blogspot.com/2011/03/flea-market-finds.html
    You will also find links to even more thrifting lovelies! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in a rural area and have to travel 20+ miles to get to Goodwill or Salvation Army. I go there on planned shopping days. A couple of local churches have small thrift stores that at 5 to 8 miles from my house. It's getting harder to find a deal but the hunt is fun!

    I'm putting my name in the hat for the giveaway over at Wild Olive. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends,
Thank you for taking the time to comment! ! I want this to be a space of free and open dialog, within the boundaries of respect and basic human kindness. Whether we are in agreement or not, all comments will be published so long as they meet that requirement.
xo, Anita