Monday, March 7, 2011

In The Kitchen ~ Shrimp and Asparagus Pasta


This is one of my favorite go to recipes, perfect when I want to make something fresh and healthy but don't want to spend hours in the kitchen.  Precise measuring is not necessary for this dish; everything can be adjusted to taste!

This will make 2 dinner servings or four appetizer servings, and can be easily doubled. 

First, assemble the ingredients:

3 to 4 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
6 to 8 Cloves Fresh Garlic, chopped
2 to 4 Cups Vegetable Broth
1 Cup White Wine
1 Bunch Fresh Asparagus, trimmed and cut into bite sized pieces, keep the tips separate
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Crushed Red Peppers (optional)
1 Pound Large or Jumbo Shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails removed

1/2 Pound Cooked Pasta
Freshly Grated Locatelli Romano Cheese

Preheat a medium sized skillet on medium heat.  Add the olive oil and garlic and sauté just until the garlic begins to brown.  Add 2 cups of the vegetable broth and the asparagus stem pieces and cook until the asparagus is just tender, about 5 minutes.  At this point I usually add my freshly ground black pepper, and a splash or two more of vegetable broth.  The amount of broth used is strictly a matter of taste, I prefer a 'wetter' sauce, but make yours the way you like it!  Add the shrimp and the white wine and stir this together. Once I see that the shrimp is beginning to cook I add the asparagus tips.  If you are in the mood for a spicy pasta, add a bit of crushed red pepper, too taste.   As soon as the shrimp is curled, pink and thoroughly cooked, remove the skillet from heat.

Put the hot, cooked pasta (I used thin spaghetti) into bowls, spoon the sauce over, sprinkle with the cheese, and serve.

I like a Pinot Grigio for this dish; a cup into the pasta and the rest with the meal!



My guy was busy playing his guitar in his studio, so I put it on a tray and brought it to him.  One dish meals are perfect for a quick break on a busy day!

Enjoy your time in the kitchen! 
xoxo, A.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear friends,
Thank you for taking the time to comment! ! I want this to be a space of free and open dialog, within the boundaries of respect and basic human kindness. Whether we are in agreement or not, all comments will be published so long as they meet that requirement.
xo, Anita