Tuesday, March 15, 2011

In The Kitchen ~ Chicken Noodle Soup

I don't know what the weather is like where you are, dear reader, but here in the Mid Atlantic it has been overcast, cool and damp for the last few days.  There is a chill in the air that makes it impossible to feel warm!  The best way I came up with to remedy this was to whip up a pot of homemade chicken soup.  This recipe is so simple that I just had to share it; you can be enjoying a hot bowl yourself in a little over an hour!

Start by putting a whole cut up chicken of about 3 to 4 pounds in a pot and covering it with four cups of water and four cups of chicken broth.  I like to make my own broth and freeze it, but a purchased broth works just as well.  Bring this to a boil over high heat, then reduce to medium-low, cover and simmer 20 to 25 minutes.

In the meantime, chop 2 1/2 cups of celery, 2 1/2 cups of carrots and 1 1/2 cups of onion.



Remove the chicken from the pot to a platter to cool.  Add the carrots, celery and onion to the broth and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until the vegetables are just tender.

Cut the chicken meat from the bones and return to the pot.

Add 3/4 cup (or to taste) chopped parsley,


allow to simmer, and season to taste with freshly ground black pepper.


With regards to the noodles, I have tried both adding them to the soup at this point uncooked, and cooking them separately and ladling the soup over them.  I prefer the second option; adding them to the soup while it is cooking seems to cause the noodles to overcook, and fall apart.  Prepare a 12 ounce package of extra wide egg noodles according to the package directions for Al dente, and they will be perfect for the soup.


Once the leftover soup has cooled, combine it with the noodles and refrigerate.  It is even better the second day!

Enjoy!

xoxo, A.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm Cassidy your scrap swap partner! I'm excited to do this swap, its my first one. Are there any colors or patterns you'd prefer? I'm working on a purple quilt right now so if you have an abundance of purples, send them my way :)
    Thanks I hope what I send makes its way into some cool projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummyyyy. x


    p.s. I'm having a giveaway on my blog for a pretty ring from bobbins & bits if you'd like to check it out. :) x
    devorelebeaumonstre.com

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends,
Thank you for taking the time to comment! ! I want this to be a space of free and open dialog, within the boundaries of respect and basic human kindness. Whether we are in agreement or not, all comments will be published so long as they meet that requirement.
xo, Anita